From 1987 to present, 140 new species of Fauna (terrestrial vertebrates) and 185 plus new species from selected families of flora were discovered in the Philippines. Among them are the following:
- Baletemys kampalili – a new genus and species of shrew-like mouse
- the “nickel hyperaccumulator” plant (Rinorea niccolifera) that is capable of absorbing 18,000ppm of metal and considered to have “great potentials for green technologies”
- Lepeostegeres cebuensis – a new mistletoe species
- Rafflesia consueloae – smallest species of the giant rafflesia flower
- Nepenthes barcelonae – a new species of pictcher plant
- Baletemys kampalili – a new genus and species of shrew-like mouse in Mindanao,Philippines (2022)
- Hypselostoma latispira masungiensis – a new land snail subspecies found in Masungi Georeserve, Rizal , Philippines (2020).
- Corybas circinatus (Orchidaceae) – a new helmet orchid species from Palawan, Philippines (2020).
- Appias phoebe nuydai – new butterfly subspecies of the Appias phoebe (2020).
- Nepenthes cabanae – new endemic species of carnivorous plant in the montane tropical rainforests of Philippines (2019).
Baletemys kampalili -a new genus and species of shrew-like mouse in Mt. Kampalili
The new genus’ of shrew mouse was given a scientific name of Baletemys which means “Balete’s mouse”. It was in honor of the work of the late biologist Danilo “Danny” Balete who made the discovery while on expedition in Mount Kampalili in Mindanao on 2007 and 2010.
Hypselostoma latispira masungiensis, a new subspecies of microsnail living in the karst formations of Masungi Georeserve
A new land snail subspecies found in a popular eco-tourism spot in Rizal was recently recorded and dubbed the Hypselostoma latispira masungiensis. The new subspecies was identified after 3 years of extensive morphological and DNA analyses and specimen collection by a group of scientists from University of the Philippines Los Baños.
A new species of helmet orchid – Corybas circinatus found in the province of Palawan.
– endemic only in the province, the new species is discovered in the wild of Mt. Matalingahan, Mt. Bloomfield, Mt. Victoria, Sultan Peak and in Mt. Bahile by a team of botanists composed of Danilo Tandang, Ulyesses Ferreras, Annalee Hadsall, Stephanie Pym-Lyon, Alastair Robinson and Rene Alfred Anton Bustamante. The species discovery is published in an article in Biotaxa.org.
Appias phoebe nuydai– new butterfly subspecies discovered by Filipino biologist in Mount Talinis, Negros Island
– Biologist Jade Badon discovered the endemic species in Mount Talinis in the province of N egros Oriental.Appias phoebe is rare and found only in high elevations, according to the article published this month on German entomological journal NEVA. Badon said he noticed the butterflies lying around Lake Nailig, a crater lake near the summit, situated more than 1,500 meters above sea level.
A new endemic species of Pitcher plant – Nepenthes cabanae discovered in the montane tropical rainforests of Philippines.
– named Nepenthes cabanae, the newfound species occurs only in Mt. Malimumu, Pantaron range, Bukidnon Province of Mindanao Island, Philippines. The discovery by team of biologists from the Central Mindanao University lead by Dr. Noel Lagunday and Dr. Victor Amoroso brings the number of Nepenthes species in this mountain range to eight.
New leaf- and litter-dwelling species of the genus Pholcus from Southeast Asia
– describe eight new species of the genus Pholcus, and document their microhabitats. Four species are assigned to the previously described Pholcus ethagala group in Sto. Domingo, San Fernando, Bukidnon (MSU Iligan)
Dilochia deleoniae Tandang & Galindon (Orchidaceae)
Is a newly described Orchid species in Mt. Hamiguitan Range Wildlife Sanctuary, Province of Davao Oriental, Mindanao Island, Philippines. This species is distinct from other known Philippine Dilochia species by its terrestrial habit and is distinguished from all known Dilochia species by its monopodial inflorescence. It was published on February 04, 2020 in PhytoKeys.
– Mt. Isarog hairy-tailed rat is a new species that belongs to the group of mammals called “cloud rats” that live only in the Philippines.These animals form an adaptive radiation, in a habitat restricted to the islands of the Philippines, much the same as lemurs are restricted to Madagascar.
A new species of slender skink is described from the Philippines. The species discovered last 2016 is endemic to Lubang Island, and is assigned to the Brachymeles bonitae Complex based on phenotypic and genetic data.
– a new Species of Giant Rafflesia, Rafflesia consueloae, was discovered in Southern Luzon island. It has flowers with an average diameter of only 9.73 cm (range 6.6 – 12.7 cm) when fully expanded, making it the smallest of the largest flowers in the world.
Rafflesia mixta Barcelona, Manting, Arbolonio, Caballero & Pelser is described as a new species from the Caraga Region of northeastern Mindanao, Philippines. This discovery brings the total number of Philippine Rafflesia species to twelve, of which four are found on the island of Mindanao.
– a new, nickel-hyperaccumulating species of plant from Luzon Island, Philippines discovered last 2014
– is a new species from Cebu Island, Philippines. It is unique among currently known species in the genus by having peculiar ridges of orange-brown scales on the young leaves and internodes. This discovery brings the total number of Philippine Lepeostegeres species to three.
– is a new species of red and stout pitcher plant found in the Sierra Madre mountains of Aurora province last 2015. Named after Filipino botanist Julie Barcelona who is among those who discovered the species. N. barcelonae has very distinctive pitcher shape and mouth,producing red, larger and stouter pitchers, while the latter ones are green, more slender.
A complete list of newly discovered species can be found under the Database menu of this website…The figures on the List of newly discovered species are based on the Data from the Wildlife Resources Division of the Biodiversity Management Bureau..