Biodiversity is the variability among living organisms from all sources including, inter alia, terrestrial, marine, and other aquatic ecosystems and the ecological complexes of which they are part.
– Convention on Biological Diversity
The Philippines is considered the “center of the center” because it has the highest concentration of species of marine biodiversity per unit area than anywhere in the world.
– The center of the center of marine shore fish biodiversity: The Philippine Islands, 2005
- refers to the countries with a high total number of species including a significant percentage of endemic species
- 70% of the world’s flora and fauna exist only in these 17 countries which is comprise just under 10% of the total surface of the earth ———Conservation International
2 Criteria for Megadiverse Country Classification: 1) have at least 5,000 endemic plants and 2) have a marine ecosystems within the boarders
- is a biogeographic region that is both a significant reservoir of biodiversity and is threatened with destruction;
- specifically refers to the 25 biologically rich areas around the world that have lost at least 70 percent of their original habitat